Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whitney

Last Friday, my cable television and internet provider confused me with a neighbor that had moved to New Orleans and asked to terminate her service. Tonight, after six days of near-silence in the house (save for some "Moonlighting" episodes on DVD), I'm back online. I was probably the last to know about the death of Whitney Houston. I didn't find out until Sunday night. What a terrible loss.

I've linked this before, but here is Whitney on Letterman promoting her first album a quarter century ago. Watching the magic here, at this point in her career, is what I imagine it would have been like to see Muhammad Ali ascend to the top of the boxing world against Sonny Liston in '64. Disciplined, beautiful, undeniable. A performer fully aware of her substantial power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home