Monday, July 16, 2007

Felix and Oscar

I'm about half-way through my summer stay at my friend Rob Semelroth's place as I await the completion of my new home, scheduled now for August 6th. There have been no major problems in cohabitation thus far. Rob hasn't been "on my case" every hour of every day about my hedonistic lifestyle, and I pretty much come and go as I please. If you know Rob, you know that a large portion of his day is spent counting the yellow stripes in the middle of the highway. A veteran of both the Boston and New York City Marathons, he's out of his house at least two hours of each day practicing his left foot/right foot technique for these types of well-publicized races. (But what is he actually running from? Am I right, people?)

Obviously, I'm grateful to Rob for his hospitality and for the money I'm saving during my stay with him, though it doesn't seem like it will be quite as much as I originally anticipated, after finding out exactly how much I'm forced to contribute financially to his interminable collection of duvet covers. He has duvets for the beds, duvets for the couch and for all the chairs, duvets for the coffee tables and for each of the kitchen appliances. It's pretty ridiculous really-- extravagant is probably the best word. The week-to-week changes in window treatments are also setting me back a pretty penny, though it's difficult to quibble with the results.

I'm trying to find projects during my stay that will keep me from spending too much money. After years of Rob mooching off my HBO, I have one month to earn back my losses through his Netflix membership, and I proposed to him that he go to the library with me this weekend so that we could get books to read together in the evenings. We did succeed in getting him his very own library card yesterday, but he walked out of the new Des Moines Central Library without even checking out a book. I think that's because it's harder to find those large-print publications suitable for reading while on the treadmill. Did I mention Rob runs a lot?

I believe that my stay has been a rewarding one for Rob. To my memory, his place has never been so clean for such an extended period of time, and in exchange for taking his three-year collection of empty cans and bottles back to the grocery store for deposit last night, he allowed me to keep the accumulated $11.40 for my trouble. The refund would have been about $20, but Hy-Vee stores don't sell or take back the tallboys of King Cobra Malt Liquor.

2 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Dave Levenhagen said...

I don't know about this. Two middle-aged guys living together. Both of them thin, neither with a steady girlfriend, now one is making sure the apartment is clean, and it sounds like there is a lot of movie watching going on.

You two might need to get your hetero- credentials checked. Especially after the number of times the word "duvet" was used in that post.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger TA said...

Who's Oscar? Sounds more like Felix and Felix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home