Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Children of the Cosa Nostra

Cashing in on "The Sopranos" buzz, the latest Newsweek features a where-are-they-now profile of the Joe Bonnano family, by writer Gay Talese ("Honor They Father," and the 1966 magazine piece "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold".) "Doctor Soprano" was a beautiful dream, but "Doctor Bonnano" truly exists.

---

I'm moving out of my apartment this coming weekend, and into temporary residence with my good buddy Rob until my new condominium unit becomes habitable. Tonight, for the first time in 14 years, I came home from work or school and did not divide out the quarters in my pants pockets for use in a communal laundry room. Fourteen years of plugging coins into pay-per-use washers, not to mention the dryers! Over the years, I must have spent well in excess of what? 50 bucks? I always paid heed to the countdown on the machines, never neglected nor abandoned my clothes, inconveniencing others, always emptied the lint screens, and if someone dropped an extra quarter in my dry cycle to aid the fluff, they were paid back in kind. I'll miss the neighborhood gossip the most.

2 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staying in Sherm?

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger CM said...

Indeed. I've been in the neighborhood for ten years now. Just moving three blocks closer to downtown.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home