Monday, May 28, 2007

Greetings from sunny Coralville

I'll be blogging for the rest of this week from Coralville, IA, where I'm helping my brother dog-sit the parents' pooch. "Arbat," named for an artists' neighborhood in Moscow, is a 6-year-old golden retriever who enjoys begging for food, barking at wildlife, playing "Dean Martin" to my 3-year-old sister's "Jerry Lewis," and giving me the finger every time my back is turned.

I've taken the week off from work, but will return on June 5th, the same day Paris Hilton reports to prison.

---

Forty-thousand fans attended the "Star Wars" Celebration IV fan convention in Los Angeles this weekend. Click on the photo gallery at the link.

---

Barry Bonds should hold on to all of his memorabilia until the day he's inducted, and Pete Rose would be wise to ask for his items back.

---

If there's a modern indifference to the Memorial Day observance in America, I suspect it has less to do with an ungrateful public than with the battle fatigue of a nation that has witnessed war after war of decreasing national interest, and that has distaste for the hollow statements that emanate from the mouths of our elected officials this time of year. Bring the troops home already. 980 American servicemen and women have died in Iraq since Memorial Day last year.

---

Remember when the Cardinals won the World Series last year. That was great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home