Thursday, May 17, 2007

Surely he's not serious

A former Iowa State basketball player is making headway in his writing career. Paul Shirley, four years behind me in the Class of 2001, has blogged about the NBA on ESPN.com, and his first published book recounts his professional roundball career. It's called "Can I Keep My Jersey? 11 Years, 5 Countries, and 4 Years in My Life as a Basketball Vagabond."

The always-engaging and self-effacing, and sometimes-deliciously tart Shirley is participating in an ongoing conversation about the NBA Playoffs over on Slate.com.

---

Wowza-- speaking truth to power during a Fox News GOP Presidential debate, of all places. Libertarian-bred Republican Ron Paul has been subsequently savaged by right-wing types for suggesting Tuesday night that American foreign policy, and our military presence in the Middle East, has helped to foster the kind of attack we endured on 9-11. I suspect that very soon Rep. Paul will stop getting invitations to these debates.

2 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CM, I can tell that you want to jump on the Ron Paul bandwagon; I know I do.

You’re exactly right about him being banned from future Republican debates. I’m very surprised that he was allowed to participate in the first two.

Look for him appearing soon on the Libertarian ticket (again).

TA

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger CM said...

TA, I watched Paul on CNN this Sunday morning, and he impressed me again, though I can't imagine voting for him unless the nomination processes play out in a very specific and unfortunate way. I'm not a Libertarian for reasons that have everything to do with what I interpret as economic fairness in a capitalist system.

But even if he won't get my vote, he'll get my ear. He seems to have, above all, the trait that's rarest in our system-- deeply-held principles. That's what the establishment fears. Quite literally, they cannot put a price on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home