Wednesday, June 29, 2005

TV Show Survivor

OK, it's time to take the gloves off. I had this topic idea last week about the weakest casting links of the great TV shows. These actors might be part of great ensembles, even worthy contributors, but tonight, I'm forcing myself- and you- to choose. In almost every case, the results have come through a very competitive process of elimination. A couple rules only-- no kids, and they can't have been cast off the show because of their weaknesses. That's too easy. I've tried- but probably failed- to separate the fact that some characters were poorly written, and limit the blame to the casting agent.
In fact, some are great characters, and it may simply be my intrigue at getting the chance to re-cast the role that's at play.

The weakest links are...

Arrested Development- Jeffrey Tambor as George and Oscar Bluth
Cheers- George Wendt as Norm Peterson
Curb Your Enthusiasm- Jeff Garlin as Jeff Green
Deadwood- Powers Boothe as Cy Tolliver
Friends- Matt LeBlanc as Joey Tribiani
The Golden Girls- Estelle Getty as Sofia Petrillo
Just Shoot Me- Wendie Malick as Nina Van Horn
The Mary Tyler Moore Show- Gavin McLeod as Murray
M*A*S*H- Loretta Swit as Margaret Houlihan
Newhart- Tom Poston as George Utley
Newsradio- Joe Rogan as Joe Garelli
Northern Exposure- John Cullum as Holling Van Couer
Seinfeld- Michael Richards as Cosmo Kramer
Sex and the City- Kim Cattrall as Samantha Jones
The Simpsons- Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson, Nelson, and Martin
60 Minutes- Andy Rooney
The Sopranos- Steven Van Zandt as Silvio Dante
Taxi- Jeff Conaway as Bobby Wheeler
WKRP in Cincinnati- Gary Sandy as Andy Travis
According to Jim- Jim Belushi as Jim

---

I drove to Iowa City over the weekend, and I pose this question. Isn't it contradictory to have a Confederate Flag decal on one side of the back car window, and "United We Stand" on the other?

---

The feud between former Cubs broadcaster Steve Stone and the team's manager, Dusty Baker, continues to simmer. Baker indirectly referenced Stone Saturday when discussing public criticism of his decision to start Mark Prior against the White Sox Sunday without first sending the pitcher on a rehab assignment.
Though the story is no longer on their website, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Stone's claims Tuesday that the Chicago Tribune, which owns the Cubs, is protecting Dusty Baker. Specifically, a Tribune story referenced Stone as having been fired after last year, when, in truth, the broadcaster was offered a contract and refused it. Stone claims he talked to the writer, Paul Sullivan, and was told- by him- that a copy editor at the Trib changed the reference. The paper claims it was an innocent mistake, but I'm not so sure.
Regardless, your trusty blogger has put his investigative reporting education (albeit, at a state school) to good use. The original story on the Tribune website now contains a notice about "corrected material." You'll find the "corrected material" in paragraph #9.

I honestly don't know why any Cubs fan would read the Tribune for an honest appraisal of the team's fortunes, but I guess one man's corporate propaganda is another man's corporate synergy.

---

I hadn't worn my gold-colored watch for about three weeks when I put it on before work yesterday. I arrived at work before realizing it had stopped.
Now, there's nothing more annoying than wearing a watch that always holds the wrong time, but just to let you know what a clotheshorse I am, I kept it on all day, even after going home for lunch at noon. I had to, you see, because it went with my gold belt buckle.
That's not the dumbest thing I did, though. I counted six times during the day that I reset the time on the watch to match the proper time, knowing full well it would only be right for one minute.
I blame the heat for my behavior.

5 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats the old saying? Even a broken watch is correct twice a day??

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is the heat to blame for your ridiculous list?

Actually, I think it's ok. I agree with most of your picks. The main one I disagree with though is Jeffrey Tambor on Arrested Development. While admittedly Oscar Bluth is a character that should have disappeared after a couple episodes - I'm not finding much original in twin jokes these days -Tambor's portrayal of George is as brilliant as everything else he's ever done. This one, maybe more than any of the others, comes down to the writing. Jeffrey Tambor isn't going to be as good as he was as Hank on the Larry Sanders Show because Arrested Development is not a show about legitimate characterization. Its characters are mostly one note, recognized only by their respective quirks. The charge that could be leveled against Tambor could be said of anyone in the cast.
Picking this "legitimate" casting choice is also an odd selection when considering that Arrested Development is a show obsessed with stunt-casting.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And what's your beef with Nancy Cartwright? I'd have said the less versatile Julie Kavner.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger CM said...

Then your pick for Arrested Development would be...?

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'd probably say "not applicable" in the case of this show.

If anything though, I'd say Jeffrey Tambor is the only one that transcends his role and finds something in his character beyond what's on the page - as actor-type people would say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home