Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The most beautiful melody in the world

What is the most beautiful melody on this Earth? Composer Jan Swafford proclaims that "it's the one that at the moment you can't get out of your head. Not in the sense of worming annoyingly into your mind, but rather of somehow capturing something important and moving to you in particular, which may or may not be something that moves the masses."

My vote (today) goes to "My Romance" by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart. Here's Ben Webster blowing it.

3 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger Aaron Moeller said...

Great choice. I'd never heard "My Romance" before, but I downloaded it.

4 songs that immediately come to mind for me:

1. "What'll I Do" by Irving Berlin
2. "Christmas Time is Here" by Vince Guaraldi
3. "In a Sentimental Mood" by Duke Ellington
4. "Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)" by Billy Joel

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Aaron Moeller said...

My favorite melodist of all, however, is Tom Waits. I could name 20 of his tunes off the top of my head that are contenders for my favorite.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger CM said...

Another favorite: The Very Thought of You, by Ray Noble

 

Post a Comment

<< Home