Sunday, December 06, 2009

Happy 5th Anniversary

This blog turns 5 years old today, and I want to thank everybody who has taken time to read it, to comment, and/or to contribute during all that time. I fully recognize that "this thing of ours," to channel Tony Soprano, is a very small neighborhood in a large media landscape, but reaches a few people nevertheless and without compromise. We lay out what we think is important here, echo and promote important ideas and news sources elsewhere, engage in a hearty dialogue at times, and the sum of that is perhaps all that the blogosphere can and should be at its level best.

Readers can be confident that, at the very least, there's no hidden agenda here, no advertisers to appease, certainly no financial reward to be gained. For me, it's a creative outlet started at about the point I gave up work in the traditional news media, with all the tongue-biting and dissatisfaction that was involved with that.

At it's worst, the blog has included some unhealthy need by its principal author for external validation, as well as the promoter of some wrong ideas and opinions; but maybe at it's best, it's been an important, even necessary small ingredient in the wildly vast online media soup now required for a happy and healthy democracy-- its power only in being part of that something larger, like one of the infinitesimal number of painted dots in Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte."

I'm terribly grateful again to everyone who reads this blog or devotes any time to it. Your feedback has had an enormous impact, to say the least, in the topics that are chosen and how it's presented. I'm extremely proud of what this is and I promise to keep it going.

We'll be back next with a recap of the voting results by the Veterans' Committee of the Baseball Hall of Fame, which will be announced for 2010 on Monday morning. As always, I hope it will be as fun to read and to think about for you as it will be for me to write.

3 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! Keep up the good work. TA

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

More wrestling stories, please.

Seriously, keep up the good work. You're one of my two favorites- the other being Andy Rooney, of course.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Congrats on 5 years. We are one month away from the 2-year anniversary of the last entry on my blog. My final post also had to do with the HOF vote. Maybe if Dawson gets in this year, I will restart my blog. Eh, probably not. I commend you on your dedication.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home