Monday, June 08, 2009

The Green Wave

An exciting transition may be underway in Iran. Reform candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi is mounting a spirited challenge to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the presidential race to be decided by voters on Friday. Praise is owed to President Obama for the extraordinary message of peace he delivered to the Islamic world last week in Cairo, which has helped to propel Mousavi's candidacy. Now it's Iranian progressives who are speaking out for a more open dialogue with the United States.

It reminds me of something I heard Jesse Jackson say yesterday on a videotape recording I have of the 1989 celebrity tribute to Sammy Davis Jr. on ABC. "Walls (were) coming down" at that moment in history across the Eastern bloc-- in Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, and elsewhere, and Jackson said that (these sometimes metaphorical) walls never come crashing down due to erosion or inevitability, as is often suggested, but always because of the committed people who chip away relentlessly at them.

---

Now I'm reminded of the words sung by Goldie Hawn during that same television special-- "I see your true colors shining through. I see your true colors, and that's why I love you. So don't be afraid to let them show. True colors. True colors. You're beautiful like a rainbow."

---

Cedar Rapids residents, take note: Future Hall-of-Fame quarterback Kurt Warner is back in your town on Sunday, and you can spend part of the afternoon with him free of charge. Warner will be interviewed by Rick Reilly at Regis Catholic Middle School, Warner's alma mater, as part of ESPN's new program "Homecoming with Rick Reilly." To attend, all you have to do is email ESPN and give them your contact information and the number of Rams fans in your party. Have fun, and don't embarrass me. I'm from Cedar Rapids, too, you know.

---

Actress Heather Graham tells the (London) Daily Mail that she's sold on tantric sex.

I'm engaged myself in what's called "blue collar" tantric sex. Every day I go to work for eight hours and get screwed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home