Thursday, June 04, 2009

Back from the ballyard

Sorry for my absence. I've been in St. Louis watching baseball this week, and I feel bad for having left the blog for so many days. Don't get me wrong-- I have the right to come and go as I please. I'm not living in China or North Korea. Or married. But I should have said something first.

Traveling always seems to pull me out of the news loop, especially when I go somewhere with my brother, who gets all of his headlines from the Howard 100 news team on the Howard Stern XM/Sirius satellite radio show. Their top story this week was producer Gary Dell'Abate's surgery to remove kidney stones.

The city of St. Louis was abuzz with baseball, as usual, despite all the fans dressed as empty seats at Tuesday and Wednesday nights' ballgames. The Major League Baseball All-Star Game, of which the Gateway City will play host, is now less than six weeks away. Major League Baseball and/or the Cardinals have opened up a souvenir shop that sells All-Star Game-only merchandise. It's inside the building that, until recently, housed the National Bowling Hall of Fame. Can't say it's an improvement, but at least it's not sitting empty. I'm still weighing a trip to the Midsummer Classic next month. I think Grandpa and Grandma would have approved of me spending my inheritance on an exhibition baseball game.

While in St. Louis, word hit that Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa is suing Twitter after a prankster set up a fake account in his name. The action, according to the future Hall of Fame skipper, resulted in "significant emotional distress" and "damage to his reputation." The legal action threatens to confound critics who claim the manager has no sense of humor.

Personally, I don't find jokes about dead pitchers to be particularly funny, but LaRussa, who holds a law degree, evidently needs to add "The People vs. Larry Flynt" to his Netflix queue.

An anonymous smart aleck online says he suspects LaRussa will change his lawyer seven times during each hour of deposition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home