Wednesday, August 13, 2008

This Olympic moment

I'm sorry in advance for what may wind up being sparse blogging this week. I've been experiencing difficulties getting online at home. Fortunately, you have the Olympics to keep you busy. Do you have "Lolo Fever" like I do? The sprinter from Des Moines is almost too good to be true-- committed, down-to-earth, and very cute.

I haven't been watching the Olympics coverage on NBC. Tell me, has the television network come through with lots of heartwarming stories about athletes overcoming long odds, like the Des Moines Register story linked above? Gosh, I hope so. I love Lolo, but being a great athlete while being poor is not that unusual. There are many more world-class athletes among each country's poorest 10 percent than among its wealthiest 10 percent. Case in point-- Ivanka and Paris are both sitting out this particular Olympiad.

---

A psychology professor writing for The Atlantic argues that stop signs and speed limits actually cause more traffic accidents. Discuss amongst yourselves.

---

Madonna turns 50 on Saturday. Can you believe it?

In related news, her British accent turns 9 on Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home