Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sam Clemens

It begins and ends with Mark Twain, American literary icon, humorist, social critic, and proud son of the Great Midwest. Ninety-eight years after his death, Twain's sapient mug graces the cover of this week's Time Magazine. I was so excited when I saw a copy of the publication, I weighed the idea of climbing after it into the dumpster at the recycle center before remembering I could read the story online.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear Twain's thoughts today about the internet and hundreds of other topics? If he were alive in 2008, I'm sure he'd have a few well-chosen words about America's latest folly in global militarism; I think he'd be tickled to see a kindred spirit like George Carlin scheduled to receive a comedy award named in his honor; and, as a comedian once noted, I'd like to believe that he'd be busy dedicating himself to a one-man stage show about Hal Holbrook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home