Saturday, October 06, 2007

Newhart as legend

It's a wondrous moment in history to be a fan of Bob Newhart, the master of comic timing and delivery. DVD's of the CBS classic ' "The Bob Newhart Show" (1972-1978) have been recently released, as has a concert recording of a 1995 Showtime special "Bob Newhart: Off the Record," which was essentially an hour-long greatest hits performance featuring the most beloved nightclub bits from the "Dean of Deadpan."

This past Tuesday, Bob's 2006 autobiography, "I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This: And Other Things That Strike Me As Funny," was released in paperback, and Bob has been making the rounds on television, including a stop to chat with David Letterman Friday night. The title of the book alludes to an old gag about a man having an affair with his boss' wife. In the throes of passion one night, the wife cries out "Kiss Me! Kiss Me!" and the man replies, "I shouldn't even be doing this."

I've had the chance to see Bob in concert a couple times since the hardcover edition of the book was released, and his stand-up routine now blends a few hilarious anecdotes about friends and mentors. My favorite appears on page 8 of the book, and comes from the man to whom nearly every comedian seems to credit for part of their professional inspiration, Jack Benny.

Bob writes:

The greatest comedian I've ever seen is Jack Benny. He wasn't afraid of the silences. Once Benny was following the Will Maston Trio with Sammy Davis Jr. They absolutely killed. The audience was still applauding for them when Benny walked onstage. He complimented them and started his routine.

"In the afternoon, I like to have some tea. I go in the coffee shop, around four o'clock or four-fifteen." Pause. "More like four-thirty." (Terrifically unnecessary information, by the way.) Pause. "So I went into the coffee shop... I did a movie with an English actor whose name I couldn't remember... he was in the coffee shop, but I couldn't remember his name..."

Here Benny stopped for what seemed like an eternity. "I'm sorry," he said, breaking the silence. "I promised Sammy Davis Jr. that he could do another number. Let's hear another number from him."

Everyone dutifully applauded, and Sammy reappeared onstage. He performed "Birth of the Blues," and destroyed the audience again. Benny returned to the stage, himself applauding, and watched Sammy and the band walk off. When the applause finally died down, Benny said, "Nevil. That was his name... Nevil."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home