Thursday, September 07, 2006

Charles and Gnarls Barkley

Today I simultaneously endorse a political candidate and a pop tune.


I also approve this unrelated policy. Leave the nursery at home.

---

The NFL season kicks off tonight in Pittsburgh. Last week I bookmarked this article about professional football franchise values. Notice anything peculiar about the list? If you're a baseball fan, you probably noticed that there's virtually no correlation to franchise value and team dominance. This is because football's pro teams, unlike baseball's, share their television profits evenly and don't bogart local money like a three-year-old with a favorite stuffed animal.

---

Four more years of sleepless nights. No, not a third Bush term-- Letterman re-ups with CBS. I'm thrilled for the King of Late Night. His extension assures that his nearly three-year-old son will always have a recollection of the time his father was on the air. My mother died when I was seven and I'm grateful for the memories of watching her at her profession.

---

The football game's on tonight, but I got hooked earlier in the evening on U.S. Open action on USA Network. I'm convinced that Martina Navratilova is the most underrated athlete in world history. She's still competing in doubles and mixed doubles competition this year, but has said the Open will be her final professional tournament. (She turns 50 next month.) It goes without saying that Martina's coming out as a lesbian has cost her fame and a sizeable fortune, but her records speak for themselves. (It's easier to just create a link.)

For a little perspective on the remarkable time span of her career: the first year Martina played in the U.S. Open-- 1973, "The Sting" was in movie theaters. When she first reached #1 in the world rankings-- 1978, Thurman Munson was still alive and catching for the New York Yankees. Extraordinary.

6 Comments:

At 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched Letterman from night one on NBC. I don't watch anymore, until last week when I watched a show and I gotta tell ya, it just seems so middle class populist humor. Dave was so cutting edge, pissing people off. Elliot, Wickline, etc. Age mellows I guess.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit I find most of the bits that Letterman does are too campy. I enjoy stupid humor, but I rarely find myself laughing at his sketches. That said, I will always watch him instead of Leno.

As for the ticket policy. My rule would be if they can't walk in the gate, they shouldn't be paying for a ticket. If they have to be held by a parent throughout the game, then their seat is already paid for. Just think of the baby as a 20-pound beer belly.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger CM said...

They should charge extra for beer bellies, too.

 
At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids should be banned from everything...period. I am not joking.

Regards,
Dr Benjamin Spock

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I thought Dave had something of a resurgence this year. I watched all summer and loved it.

It sounds a little corny but he did lose some of his edge after 9/11 (too many serious interviews) and then having his son, but even before that, he had stopped doing his out-of-studio remotes, which were classic television. The yearly anniversary specials were so great and loaded with classic segments. Now I'm not even sure what highlights they would show if they still aired those.

Also, any bit with Alan Kalter is great, but I lose interest when they go to the Hello Deli for a segment.

I stay up late. I watch Dave, the first half of Conan, then at least the first 10 minutes of Kimmel (he comes on at 12:05 here - and he has the best jokes on the day's events), then usually the late showing of Colbert Report. What I've taken a break from is the Daily Show, which was getting a little precious (and Jon Stewart too snarky.)

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger CM said...

Why don't you get some sleep?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home