Tuesday, May 23, 2006

True originals

A political activist in Arizona has a really novel idea. Ophthalmologist Mark Osterloh is attempting to get a referendum approved that would award a $1 million prize to one lucky voter in his state each election cycle. I still need more convincing, but I can't dismiss the plan outright. More voters would indeed dart to the polls, and our elections are already a big giveaway of taxpayer money anyway.

---

My affection for The Great Pujols continues to abound. Not only has he kept my favorite baseball team drenched in Korbel for the better part of the new millennium, but his slugging exploits are backing my theory about the relatively small impact of steroids on the game. El Hombre says he's been drug tested three times this year, and no one from MLB is contradicting him.

---

Did you know Pat Robertson can leg-press 2000 pounds? I shit you not.

---

The LA Times' Joel Stein, on "The Da Vinci Code": "There are two types of Christians: Those who will let us dance, and those who won't. Admittedly, much of my theology comes from 'Footloose.'"

---

You people only have 38 days left to consolidate your student loans before interest rates get hiked.

---

I love me some Chloe Sevigny. She's been great in everything from "Kids" to the underrated "Palmetto" with Woody Harrelson to "If These Walls Could Talk 2" (The Deuce) to "Boys Don't Cry" to "The Last Days of Disco" and now, HBO's "Big Love." She's a stunner, too, though I'm now nearly 90 percent sure I'm mispronouncing her name. "The Paper of Record" has a profile.

---

The Village Voice's Michael Musto: "Heather Mills doesn't have a leg to stand on."

---

Two weeks ago, I linked one critic's list of some of the great songs of the 20th century. Mindful of the long-lost Fairness Doctrine, here is an alternative-- the worst tunes of all-time, compiled exhaustively by blogger Ken Levine and his readers. For me, it doesn't get much worse than "Unchained Melody." I hate that song.

4 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spend a lot of time at cbn.com, Chris?

Chris, to support your theory (all valid points by the way) the engineer in me would like to see some data on ballpark and strike zone dimensions over the years. Is that available anywhere? It would be interesting to try and correlate this with HR/9inn or something. TA

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think I had any of the "greatest" songs in my iPod, but I have probably 10 of the "worst" songs.

I really like "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" which is on the list. That's just a great tune to sit and listen to. Most songs don't tell a story as good as that anymore. If you ask me, it's a helluva lot better than what is coming out of the radio today. Here is my proof.

My Humps

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The one glaring problem I have with the bad songs list (besides the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", which I also love) is the inexplicable inclusion of "I Put a Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins, which not only isn't one of the worst songs of all time, it may very well be in the Top 20 best songs.

I'm glad to see many of the comments on that blog back me up on this.

Ken Levine is probably just bitter because he's one of Hawkins' 80+ (no joke) illegitimate children.

The Creedence version is good too, but there's no substitute for the original, which has long been one of my cell phone ringtones.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger CM said...

80+ children?! Is he Osama bin Laden? I guess he loves those lady lumps.

Dave L, I'm thrilled that you've learned how to create links.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home