Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Few Thoughts For the Road, Including Advice: Never Pay More Than $10 For a Meal, Or $20 For a Suit - by Aaron Moeller

Are you like me? Are you a sports nut who also has a love of congressional hearings, special investigators and grand jury testimony? Then, friend, baseball is the sport for you! We all may be a bit burned out by this steroid stuff, but I’m still drawn like a moth to the flame when I see an article with new accusations. This summer is going to bring some serious drama. This week, word of a new Barry Bonds book hit the news. Read some excerpts here and some recently published details of his BALCO testimony here.

---

Are you a basketball fan who has wondered if you’re the only person that’s noticed that Steve Nash’s point guard style of play owes a lot to the fact that teammate Amare Stoudamire has an improvisational basketball style that resembles Miles Davis’ music and that Shawn Marion’s style resembles Thelonious Monk’s? Then check out freedarko.com. Recently added as a link to the McSweeney’s literary site, this is my favorite basketball blog and offers up unusually thoughtful ideas about the psychology of professional athletes. There are a lot of contributors that are major 76ers fans and I was especially taken in this week by the Samuel Dalembert commentary. Also check out the article entitled "Off the Head like Decapitation" and its intriguing theory that the rap world’s equivalent to Allen Iverson are the "freestylers" and how this explains the fact that teammates often have a hard time adjusting to AI's game.

---

It looks like of my first round NCAA upset specials, the only one I called correctly was the Wisconsin-Milwaukee win over Oklahoma. I also overrated the Hawkeyes that they wouldn’t collapse like a house of cards until the second round.

---

This will be my final posting during my guest week on this blog. Hopefully, I’ve done the boss proud and will get the permanent guest-hosting job when Johnny finally decides to retire. Chris’ staff was incredibly welcoming and accepting of my people and myself this week and I apologize for the misunderstanding with the under-aged intern. I want to thank Chris for being a great sport and allowing me to do this. As to our differences, I was surprised – but thankful – that he was more than willing to relinquish control and let me do my thing. (Like Dad always says – "You know Chris, he has to be the bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral.")

Thanks Chris. It’s nice to be known for something beyond being the go-to guy when you need your outboard motor rebuilt. You may not see me for awhile, but I'll be right around the corner.

---

As to Scientology: If you’d like to "read more about it", check out the following texts – Dianetics and other writings by L. Ron Hubbard, the article "Inside Scientology" in last week’s issue of Rolling Stone, and any issue of In Touch Weekly, a magazine devoted almost exclusively to the life of Operating Thetan, Tom Cruise.

2 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaron, great job, more like Leno than Rivers. I was thinking you might change Chris' password and hijack the site, but it sounds like there won't be a coup, what gives? TA

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks! Sorry no coup. I tried to bar the door but it needed a new deadbolt and I didn't want to pay for one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home