Tuesday, December 20, 2005

All aboard

Times are tough for the labor movement. The Collective Bargaining process, responsible for health and safety employment standards, unemployment insurance, fair wages, what remains of the American middle class, and what you recognize as "the weekend" has been progressively crippled by corporate robber barons and greedy politicians since 1947. Transit workers in New York City courageously walked out on strike today (without the support of its parent union, I might add,) and it's costing them $1 million a day. I'm linking to an even-handed explanation as to how that disgraceful legal situation came about.

---
Our business partners in China are cracking down on dissidents just before the close of the Fiscal Year. That means bulls in '06, investors!

---
George Bush needs to stop claiming that he sought and received Congressional approval for his illegal wiretaps. This is the reason I always file my pay stubs and bank statements.

---
Film critic Roger Ebert posted his year-end Top 10 List Sunday. You know what that means? Only seven to eight more months before the CM Top 5 is revealed. Here's a hint about the 2005 CM Film Awards in progress, check out #6 on Roger's list. It's available already on DVD.

---
There have been many terrible reasons for my short posts or my not blogging over the last year, but the latest excuse is the worst. I came in possession of a new easy chair this weekend, and I love to relax in it. I know what you're thinking-- buy a laptop, you stooge. No dice! When I blog, I blog. When I lounge, I lounge.

---
Funny story about my new chair... I was headed towards the laundry room on Sunday in the basement of my building when I walked past this only slightly-used, and quite lovely futon-style recliner and matching ottoman-- in my favorite color, by the way-- cardinal red. (You can lie completely flat on it-- like that lounger that Fredo Corleone is collapsed upon in "The Godfather, Part II" when Michael tells him he's cutting him out of the family.) It was in the basement hallway, up against the wall, next to the two garbage bins. It seemed too nice to be on its way to the dumpster, but there was no name or note attached. I set my laundry basket down. I looked over my left shoulder, then over my right...... I pinched the chair. No one's come knocking on my door as of yet, and hopefully, Santa was looking the other way.

4 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I now know where I am NOT sitting when I come for visits. Call me a snob, but I've seen some of the people in your building and I'd be afraid of sitting on a needle, razor blade or something sticky.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris, somehow when you recounted this same chair "recovery" story to me on the phone I didn't fully grasp the true nature of the event. For some reason, it didn't even register to me as unusual, but now that I see it in print it makes more sense: You stole a chair from one of your neighbors and seemingly have no remorse about it.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger CM said...

If someone is missing a chair, then it's easy to post a note on the front door of the building, but if it was headed to the dumpster, it would have been in the bin early Monday morning. I believe in recycling.

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would much rather sit in a stolen chair than one headed to the dumpster.

So which is it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home