Monday, June 12, 2017

What I've been reading

Happy summer to you. Sorry for the absence. I've been working on the book that will be The Best of the Chris Moeller Blog. I haven't written much, but I've read some interesting things, and you know the topics I like. Notably I've been skimming...


Slate's interview with Trump's biographer: Why Trump is Like This

and

"The Politics of Hope" in England

-

Shaun King of the Daily News is boycotting the NFL over the blacklisting of his friend, Colin Kaepernick. He has chosen instead, he says, to look his son in the eye.

-

The St. Louis Cardinals announced that they are "actively planning" a gay pride stadium promotion, Pride Night, that would take place in 2018, at the latest. Sunday, July 30th, will deliver the Cardinals' 27th annual "Family Christian Day" to Busch Stadium. The featured speaker, former Cardinals player, Lance Berkman, has been a vocal critic of gay rights and told a Houston radio station that "to me, tolerance is the virtue that's killing this country." As Cardinals' field manager Mike Matheny will also be attending the post-game "Christian" festivities on the 30th, I would hope that the St. Louis news media would be on-hand to ask Matheny whether he agrees with Berkman's statements. Pride Night will most definitely be deemed a news event so Family Christian Day should be as well.

-

I get tingly when newspapers devote time and space to oversized history features. Here's the story of the Garden District in New Orleans' Times-Picayune. Our pasts are merely prologue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home