Sunday, December 18, 2016

People's History of the Moeller Television Festival (15th year)

Per custom, here are some of the written comments submitted on index cards during the Moeller Television Festival. They are anonymous, sic'd, and without context.

We should have had cucumber soup on our menu.

Special thanks to Jamie- who came all the way from Chicago.

The Newhart Show is known as "Hombre to Hombre" in Spanish speaking countries. Probably.

I thought the fight would be about JoAnna's 80s sweaters.

I think we have just experienced an anti-climax.

I used to enjoy Tom Poston on the Steve Allen Show. Signed, Groucho

I just now learned that Larry Sanders and Garry Shandling are different people.

I never realized Darryl was so foxy.

I enjoyed the origin story of E.B. Farnum from Deadwood.

Stephanie remains my model for womanhood to this day.

Newhart Season 7 (of 8) out on DVD this Tuesday, December 13th.

We forgot to get jalapenos for the tacos- sorry gang

We should add a lard fight to next year's festival.

Did everyone remember to turn off their cell phones and pagers?

Ophelia talked in her sleep last night, said "No, don't eat that."

I enjoyed creator Larry Gelbart's work writing on the Sid Caesar "your show of shows" - Signed, Groucho

Whatever happened with the war?

Thank goodness the whole series turned out to be a dream.

Filmed in B/W= Serious MASH, Klinger in a dress= Funny MASH. I miss funny MASH

I always enjoyed Pierce's impression of me. Signed, Groucho

I remember when the controversy when this episode aired. Viewers were upset that the CBS censors let Radar say "Latrine" on television.

I liked Harry Morgan's work on Dragnet. Signed, Groucho

I feel like they took some of this from Duck Soup. Signed, Groucho

Rob liked the colleagues/college joke.

We do considerable drinking for sitting at home. We do not enough drinking for being at the TransAmerica Holiday Party.

There was a foreshadow of Buster's seal attack on the newscast in the background of one scene.

I only write a bunch of comments when I'm bored.

I forgot how much I love this show.

I don't know any of these people. Signed, Groucho

I don't find the police brutality jokes funny. Why can't Arrested Development take itself more serious like MASH?

Silly Michael! There's always money in the banana stand.

Maebe just portrayed Alexander Hamilton on Drunk History.

#Analrapist

I would give this show 6 stars- Good pick Alex. Signed Groucho

This show reminds me of the 70s show Soap, but with more disfunction

William McCready has 70s hair... 1870s hair

First TV Festival Field Trip- let's go down to the real CR Gazette offices

Did everyone see Radar in the Cherry Sisters audience?

Only festival episode ever scheduled before it aired.

Do you know Steve Dahl, Jamie? Are you Steve Dahl?

The White Sox haven't had that big of a crowd at a game since. Go Cubs. Signed, Groucho who roots for the Northsiders

The Moellers in the room are all sportin' tv tshirts. This feels official :)

The real Steve Dahl looks more like Patton Oswalt than Colin Hanks

The Cherry Sisters had to walk 50 miles to watch their episode of Drunk History on TV.

Jamie works at WLUP and Steve Dahl works in the building too-- That's why he picked this episode. Signed, Groucho

Funny story about Bob Odenkirk. I work in marketing and our ad agency pitched us an idea with Bob because some of them had worked with him before. It was to be based on his Better Call Saul character, so I supported it. Once it was agreed upon the idea the suits decided to keep the idea, but not use Bob Odenkirk because he was too expensive. LOL

Is there something creepy about Bob Odenkirk toasting "to teenagers"?

I wake up every morning to "You Should be Dancing" by the Bee Gees. It's invigorating.

Everyone should watch Jenny Slate's video "Marcel the Shell."

I saw the Cherry Sisters at the Hammerstein Theater. Absolutely terrible. Signed, Groucho

Chico fucked three of the five Cherry Sisters. Signed, Groucho

When she said "brushing the pig or whatever" it was more Iowa-bashing.

My next halloween costume will be "New York Hot Dog Man"

I wonder what the judge decided about the libel... They totally left us hanging.

Letterman used to use a Groucho line when he had civilian guests: "I'd love to keep talking with you all day, but now it's time to play our game."

Weird. I almost brought my ventriloquist dummy of talent agent Nicky Steward.

I'm more of a '56 DeSoto kind of guy.

White people. Nuff said.

Can you make juice out of rice like you can corn?

Go see your local DeSoto dealer and tell 'em Groucho sent you. Signed, Groucho

His theme song that plays is "Lydia the Tattooed Lady."

Regarding the audience's 1950's haircuts-- those are haircuts you could set your watch by!

Nicky finally got Groucho a youthful audience. Here we are enjoying him in 2016!

Great pick Groucho, but that DeSoto product placement is a little obvious.

I'm glad no one talked through the commercials.

Ever wonder where people like those contestants are now, or when they died? What would their families think that we're sitting here in Iowa watching it 60 years later?

Did Groucho ever utter the cigar line?

When buying a car, I always tell the salesman my height, and ask for a car that's "lower than I am."

After watching this, I have fully forgiven myself for being a dork in 1990.

An amazing special to get all those stars together to honor Lola Folana's last year in show business.

Everyone should hear Katya Moeller play "Summertime" on the violin.

"Mr. Bojangles" was a song originally written and performed by country artist Jerry Jeff Walker. For more info on Jerry Jeff, consult your public library.

Does sniffing a sharpie get you high? I was flying so high when Goldie Hawn was singing "True Colors."

I never knew Tony Danza was a triple threat. Actor, boxer, and dancer. Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Richard Pryor would have been able to read the teleprompter if he was wearing Ella Fitzgerald's glasses.

What brand VCR and VHS tape was used in the Moeller household? This tape quality is quite good for nearly 27 years old!

You need a TV Festival gift shop so I can buy a coffee mug that says "I made it thru Goldie Hawn's performance."

I would watch a 3 hour special honoring Gregory Peck, Dean Martin and Ella Fitzgerald's ginormous eyeglasses.

Dead celebrity count on this special: Dead 11, Still Living 17.  

I know all these people. Signed, Groucho

It's hard to watch Whitney Houston and not wonder, "How high do you think she is?"

Whitney Houston looks like she's wearing a snuggie.

My vote for funniest performer of all time is a tie between Bob Hope and Bob Hope's cue card guy.

I keep getting the urge to clap.

The Sammy Davis appearance on Archie Bunker was aired at TV Fest 6.

Imagine how great Sammy Davis would have looked in skinny jeans.

Royce weighs more than Sammy did here.

I feel like Stevie Wonder was attempting one last save of Sammy.

Sammy inspired so many in so many ways. For some his dancing, for some his singing, his quick draw, for me it's this pinkie ring that will never again leave my finger.

Bill Cosby needed those glasses to make sure he was getting the dosage right backstage.

Anybody need me to sign a slip to get class credit?

Martin Freeman now. There are a surprising number of Fargo actors today. Including Aaron's t-shirt.

Ricky Gervais would be kicked out of tv festival for talking.

Stephen Merchant stalking photo

No photo

It's unbelievable how many American series took this "unseen documentarian" concept. Modern Family is still doing it.

This was so short.

All in the Family is also based on a British show, Til Death Do Us Part, but in the British version, Meathead is called Fish&Chips

Was this how the show ended? They never got out of the freezer?

Culturally-significant

Archie's chair is in the Smithsonian.

Archie just got nominated as the president's chief of staff.

Many of the elements are in the film- the female officer, the black witness, the lawyer with possible dementia, and the tape recorder.

Ophelia blues story

Open your eyes. Now you'll find your color blind Racial

The student who says he's Dutch is John Lithgow's son

French Stewart has disappeared.

Pizza upstairs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home