Saturday, May 07, 2016

Songs in the Key of Cumulonimbus Rainbands

I've just returned from the 47th annual New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival-- my ninth-- but storms were the story of the day on Saturday, the 30th, and Stevie Wonder's performance was washed out "for our safety." No big deal-- only 2,200 miles round-trip, two $75 tickets, and three hours in the rain to see the Eighth Wonder of the World. And I haven't seen any of the first seven.

Back in Des Moines at the same time, music fans were tuned to seven Garth Brooks concerts at the Iowa Events Center. I was all prepared to turn up my nose and declare victory over them for having seen Little Stevie... who incidentally is not so little anymore. (Even the baby girl who performs on "Isn't She Lovely?" is 41 years old.) My neighbors (seemingly all of them, according to Facebook) saw Garth Brooks, at least one time, in a two-hour concert performance, but I saw Stevie Wonder in a dashiki wave to the crowd and sing an a Capella "Purple Rain"even though I wasn't within a hundred yards of being able to hear him.

So I'm declaring a tie.

---

The general condition of New Orleans, Louisiana, meanwhile, remains desperate, but not serious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home