Tuesday, May 19, 2015

No tomorrow

Here's something else about David Letterman. I'm pretty sure that the website for his show is one of the first two I would have ever visited on the internet. In 1996, when I first explored the internet in the "computer room" at Iowa State, there was the St. Louis Cardinals site, upon which the club sent me an Ozzie Smith "photo ball" basically just for checking a box and proving I was on the site, and there was The Late Show site, in which, before long, I was hooked on Bob Borden's Wahoo Gazette.

The blog is going dark tomorrow to mark the date of Dave's final show after 33 marvelous years. Paul, do we have music for this? Well, not really dark. I would hide it from the internet for a day, but I'm afraid I would delete it instead. I'm getting a cab though. I'm outta here. All other websites should also take the day off, like me and Jimmy Kimmel. The decision not to be a distraction has come down from the home office in Wahoo, Nebraska. The day is too special. Or as they say in Indiana, spayshul. I have a lump in my throat, kids, the size of a canned ham, and I wouldn't give my troubles to a monkey on a rock, ladies and gentleman. Does this look infected to you? You're making us all sick. I've frightened the audience again, haven't I?

So wake the kids, put 'em in front of the TV, and fill 'em full of hot, black coffee. You know him, you love him, you can't live without him. The only thing on CBS right now. A man with the strength of ten men. Hold on to your wigs and keys. He's here to blow the roof off this dump... the stuff in lieu of actual entertainment. The most powerful man in American broadcasting... David Letterman. Your TV pal. And for the kids, free balloons. Goodnight, everybody. (Cue Paul and the band.)

Pants Pants Pants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home