Tuesday, June 10, 2014

What I've been thinking

I'm close to despondency on matters related to American politics. The meter doesn't even move these days on radical political action. Let's just say that it's shaping up to be something less than a replay of the Summer of Love. The Supreme Court is dismantling nearly every political achievement of the last century that the United States of America can be justly proud of. Obama is running out the clock, a victim of the dishonest posing of his opponents on the right and his own lack of imagination. His presidency has slipped activists into an outright coma. Republicans-- those not too embarrassed to count themselves as such-- are nothing now but a gaggle of Randian cultists. The prospect of a Democratic Party primary cycle over the next two years with only Hillary Clinton and her husband's penis on the ballot is about as appetizing as a skinny-dip in an Indonesian river. Or reading Hillary's book.

---


I like Orange is the New Black just fine, but it borrows a lot from the show Oz structurally and thematically-- the entry character for white, middle-class viewers (above), homosexuality, race, religion. The parallels deserve some recognition. I hear and read raves over Orange, and I'm positively certain that almost none of these people (Facebook friends, this is you) have seen a single episode of its prison-set predecessor of the 1990s. I'm just saying that, if they had, the definitive "it" show of this moment would not seem quite so ground-breaking.

---

I'm still waiting for William and Kate to renounce their thrones. I guess they really like the attention.

---

And now the deal is off again. Donald Sterling is such a drama queen.

---

I've got nothing against Britney Spears really. But a "role model" for single working mothers is a single working mother that goes to work even though she has a job that is not fun.

---


I don't want to say that I've been ignoring professional golf, but I saw a story this week in USA Today about Payne Stewart, and I wondered to myself: Is a guy like that still on the regular tour or retired by now to the senior tour? The story revealed that he's been dead since 1999.

---

USA Today is still going though.

---

This is my laziest title ever. I really hate writing them. I should just use the date of the post. Or name them like hurricanes.

---

Here's the late Bob Welch striking out Reggie Jackson to end Game 2 of the 1978 World Series. Nothing but fastballs and Reggie was overpowered with each one. Welch is not mixing in cripple pitches like Dennis Eckersley did to Kirk Gibson, or Mark Wohlers did to Jim Leyritz. More guys should do that. Hitting a moving baseball is plenty hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home