Thursday, August 23, 2012

Barbara Mack

Barbara Mack, a journalism professor at Iowa State, died very unexpectedly early this morning. The details are not yet known, but she was only 59 years old, and was only a few days into teaching her final semester before retirement.

Dr. Mack was a remarkable teacher and professional. In my day at least, she taught the class in media law that was required of all students in the journalism program. She had served several years as the general legal counselor for the Des Moines Register during the 1980s before becoming what was really the living embodiment of the journalism school at ISU. She was a thing that I have come to really adore in America-- a passionate, passionate First Amendment advocate. She was also my academic adviser for four years. That's what's called a lucky draw.

Dr. Mack's students know she abhorred poor grammar. If you peppered your speech with "ums" or "likes", you were quickly reminded that they had no place in formal or professional speech-- or everyday speech, for that matter-- and she evidently despised cell phones in her classroom, although to admit that I didn't know that fact betrays my age. It doesn't surprise me to read it.

An old friend of mine posted a Barbara Mack story on Facebook this afternoon, which I'm going to relay here. I won't mention or link the guy's name because I haven't spoken with him since school. (I sent him a 'friend' request tonight so maybe I'll add it later.)

In 1996, he found himself one credit short of graduation, but one of his two credit classes had been switched back to three credits just after he had finished the course. He was told by one of the professors to write a paper explaining his case, and was given three hours to get it written and submitted. Upon completion, each one of the necessary professors authorized his written request, except for Barbara Mack. She pointed out that he had reversed the words "there" and "their" several times in the text of his paper, and remarked to him her opinion that a journalism student at the level of collegiate graduation should not be making such mistakes. She didn't deny the graduation, but she forced him to take one-on-one classes with her in her office every week-- on a Friday-- for the rest of the year. It would take years before this man's opinion of Dr. Mack would do a 180 towards the positive.

Dr. Mack made an impact on seemingly everybody she encountered. The local attention given to her upon her death might be surprising to anyone that might look only at her resume. While sterling, she chose to be a college professor, which rarely rewards with glamour, and she was an attorney that wasn't the type that becomes celebrated in high profile cases. I'm theorizing that her death is getting such wide attention because of the force of personality that she was among media types, maybe the most intimidating personality I've ever met. She was a big woman physically. Imposing. Not "big" like fat. "Big" like she could punch you unconscious.

But she was also incredibly warm. Her passion and commitment came for the benefit of her students. Tough love like my friend describes, but sweetness too. Before graduation I took a job at WHO Radio in Des Moines, a station in close physical proximity to where she lived with her husband Jim Giles. She was well acquainted with my new boss, told me all she knew, offered her faith in my professional ability, and then I remember her actually drawing a map to her house for me in case I ever needed anything.

The "inspiring teacher" is a cliche, but she was one of my mine. Here's a photo of her with one of her equine friends, probably a Barbara Mack life student whose devotion to her is equal to mine.

Get to Know: Barbara Mack

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home