Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The modesty of dress

Is the mindset of "modesty" in clothing damaging to the self-esteem of young women? Sierra at Alternet argues that it is...

Modesty taught me that my first priority needed to be making sure I wasn't a "stumbling block" to men. Not being sexually attractive was the most important thing I had to consider when buying clothes, putting them on, maintaining my weight (can't have things getting tight!), and moving around (can't wiggle those hips, or let a little knee show). Modesty taught me that what I looked like was what mattered most of all. Not what I thought. Not how I felt. Not what I was capable of doing. Worrying about modesty, and being vigilant not to be sexy, made me even more obsessed with my looks than the women in short shorts and spray tans I was taught to hate.

---

New York Magazine's Vulture section recently studied the season-to-date Nielsen TV ratings in great detail and broke down our favorites and least favorites by demographic. What did I learn about myself as a result of their efforts? That I am very different from the average American in my love for NBC's Thursday night lineup, and the least like a poor, teenage girl...

The lowest-rated series with children 11 and under? Parks & Recreation
#2 show overall for both men and women? Two and a Half Men
The number of NBC shows in the Nielsen top 40 aside from Sunday Night Football? Zero
More weekly viewers-- NCIS, or Community, Parks & Rec, The Office, and Whitney combined? NCIS
What do teenage boys love most? FOX Sunday night animation
Most popular show among adults 18-49 with a median income of $100,000 and above? Modern Family
Least popular with that same demographic? Cops
Top 3 shows among adults 18-49 that have 4 or more years of college? Parks & Recreation, The Office, Community

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home