Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mensa day

Mensa International is the largest high-IQ organization in the world. To be a member, the individual must score at or above the 98th percentile on a standardized or otherwise approved intelligence test. Most of the 110,000+ members worldwide live in the United States or Britain.

National Mensa Testing Day arrives today-- the Moeller TV Festival has been scheduled for November 13th to avoid conflicts-- but many of the society's local groups are offering the admission tests throughout the month. For Central Iowans, there's a test offered in Clear Lake this afternoon, another in Ames on the 23rd, and one in Spencer on the 30th.

When I saw the USA Today story linked above, I couldn't help but think about the episode of "The Bob Newhart Show" that lit up Moeller TV Fest VII two Novembers ago. It was entitled "Mr. Emily Hartley," it aired first in 1973, and it was about how Bob coped with finding out his wife had a higher measurable IQ than he did. During the episode, the Hartleys attended a Mensa-like open house and Bob didn't really take to it.

Script by Charlotte Brown (excerpt):

Man at party: Olleh, Mi Divad Snibor. Dalg ot teem uoy.
Bob: I'm sorry we don't speak Swedish.
Man: Oh, neither do I. That was English. I said 'Hello, I'm David Robins. Glad to meet you' backwards. See, it's this gift or 'tfig' I have. I see all words 'sdrawkcab'-- backwards.
Emily: Oh, I see. So 'olleh' is 'hello.' Is that right? I mean 'thgir'?
Man: 'Thgir!' You catch on very 'tsaf.'
Emily: Oh, 'tsaf. Oh Bob, this is fun. You should try it.
Bob: Maybe later.
Emily: Oh, I'm so sorry. There we were talking, and I haven't even introduced myself. My name is Emily Hartley.
Man: Emily Hartley. Ylime Yeltrah. Very nice. And you're?
Bob: Bob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home