Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chris' Internet Circle of Fun #1

Here's a new blog feature-- it's called Chris' Internet Circle of Fun. (Ignore the "#1" designation in the title for now. I've numbered it to encourage myself to revisit the concept, which I find particularly promising, in future posts.) ICOF is a collection of web links-- each one leading to the next, by theme or design, and ending right where we left off.

Please feel free to consume the various links (articles and video clips-- heavy on the clips) in part or in whole-- either according to my specific design (by which they appear) or in any perverse order you choose. But be mindful, you're doing the latter at your own peril. It may not be so easy to get them to link at the end.

If you're still confused by the concept, it will start to make sense as we go...


Link #1: Septuagenarian film critic Rex Reed bashes "Cop Out" in the New York Observer. "Cop Out" is the new buddy-cop film starring Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan. While labeling the movie both "pollution from the celluloid dumpster" and "miserable dreck," Reed also works into his review an indictment of the condition of modern film criticism.

Link #2: Tracy Morgan appears on "The Daily Show" Wednesday. Tracy is his usual bizarre self, delighting Jon Stewart and threatening unprotected sex with his female fans.

Link #3: Christopher Cross singing "Sailing" in 1980. Clad in that Houston Oilers (Earl Campbell) football jersey, this is the clip to which Tracy was referring.

Link #4: Christopher Cross and Dudley Moore performing on "Night of 100 Stars" from 1982. Still at the peak of his powers, Cross delivers "'Arthur's Theme" with the film's leading man as accompaniment.

Link #5: Peter Allen on stage. Cross co-composed "'Arthur's Theme" with Australian musician Peter Allen. Allen, incidentally, was Liza Minnelli's first husband. In this clip, he sings his tune "Love Crazy."

Link #6: A Peter Allen song on "The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder." Tom was a professed Peter Allen fanatic, and he chose an Allen tune to run over the montage of his favorite guests as he wrapped his talk show in 1999. This clip has had so few views on YouTube, you might think I uploaded it myself to complete the Circle of Fun. But I didn't. I don't even know how to do that.

Link #7: Chevy Chase criticizes Rex Reed during the final episode of Snyder's previous late night program, "The Tomorrow Show". Chase works in an indictment of the condition of modern film criticism.

See how this works?

3 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice links and transitions. I especially like the Tom Snyder montage, reminding me of those semi- obscure people who were fascinating guests on that show, like David Milch, Orson Bean, Jennifer Tilly, Harlan Ellison, and of course, the great Robert Blake, who I think is honestly the most intriguing personality in the history of Hollywood.

I remember watching most of those clips. I bet in those days of staying up late and watching talk shows (like I still do) I probably saw 80% of those shows. (That number sounds high, I know, considering that's 4 nights a week, but consider that many episodes were re-run.) If I was home, it was on.

I did you one better, Chris, and kept going. After watching the Chase/Snyder clip, I watched a rare Robert DeNiro interview on an even rarer segment of the Chevy Chase show.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I think you should cross-breed this new and exciting game of circumnavigation with a classic game of "Six Degrees" and try to include a Kevin Bacon clip somewhere in your circle.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger CM said...

I was toying with the idea of always trying to get Christopher Cross in there somewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home