Thursday, March 12, 2009

Little Cyclone

I went downtown to watch my high school alma mater, Benton Community, play in the boys state basketball tournament yesterday. The game that followed BC's defeat featured one of the most celebrated preps in state history, Harrison Barnes of Ames. Turns out that Barnes is the son of former Iowa State hoopster Ron Harris, an early '80s contemporary of Barry Stevens and Jeff Hornacek. Just 16 years old, Barnes is old enough to date Shawn Johnson. We just stayed around for a half, but Barnes took two early fouls and went to the bench. His team didn't need him to advance, however. If you live in Iowa, I'm sure you can catch his skills in action this weekend on public television.

As to the linked story above, I'm curious as to what constitutes an "unofficial" visit to a college when you're a recruit.

---

It's hard to determine just how serious this discussion is, but proponents say passenger rail service between Iowa City and Chicago may be in the not-too-distant future.

---

Maybe I'm the jinx: I watched my first-ever Ultimate Fighting event at a local bar last Saturday, and now, a UFC steroid scandal has erupted. Guess I'll have to go back to baseball.

---

Despite some team turmoil, Venezuela beat the U.S. 5-3 in a World Baseball Classic matchup Wednesday night. Now we've got a "can't-miss" ballgame in the tourney lined up for this Saturday night: Puerto Rico (featuring two popular Cardinals: their manager Jose Oquendo and catcher Yadier Molina) vs. the United States.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home