Friday, October 03, 2008

The streetwalker

Last weekend and today, I spent the afternoons canvassing Iowa House District 66. I recommend it as a way to get to know your neighbors. I came bearing gifts, of course-- campaign literature promoting my Green Party legislative bid. Last weekend, I managed to cover basically the northeast quadrant of the district, an area directly north of the State Capitol and east of the Des Moines River. Today, I was in my own backyard, dear old Sherman Hill, where I was able to cover the entire neighborhood in little more than three hours.

I've worn in callouses on the heels of both feet, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I spent the summer wearing flip-flops. People have been overwhelmingly nice. Mine is mostly a hit-and-run operation. Time does not permit to knock on every door, and most of my work has been on Friday afternoons when few people are home. I had a particularly nice chat today with an older woman who liked my idea for a $10 minimum wage, and who would love to see a woman "get in there" at the federal level, but she's not sure about Sarah Palin at all. A fellow just down the block from her walking path invited me to tour the current renovation of his property, and I look forward to seeing it soon on the Sherman Hill Walking Tour. Up and down the hill I went today, and I discovered that a disproportionate number of beautiful women live on Des Moines' 19th Street. (Note to self: they all apparently get off work at 4 o'clock on Fridays.)

Canvassing etiquette, from my perspective, requires respecting lawns and closed fences and nodding to or acknowledging the neighborhood mail carrier in some small way. Today I saw the same drivers education vehicle parallel park three times. I also shared the streets this afternoon with Obama supporters promoting their vote early agenda. Unbeknownst to these other walkers, the mail carrier helped me determine which houses were occupied, and the Obama gang tipped off the registered Democrats-- and there are many.

There's no style of door knob that I cannot conquer. This is an example of the best kind of knob because I can simply curl my campaign card in a u-shape inside the handle and go on my merry way. Another of my favorites is seen here. Again, it's a simple curve. I can work with a knob like this, but its effectiveness depends upon the door frame darting out, as shown in the linked photo. With the frame for support, I can curve my card into a complete circle, and nestle it between the knob and the frame. Without the side support, I'm left to look for a crevass in the door itself, or with any luck, deposit it between a mesh screen and the structure of the door. These photos will give you some idea of my drop potential with screen doors. (Wow, I had no idea how expensive they can be.) But stay out of the mailboxes, by all means, despite the wicked temptation. That's a violation of federal law, and this campaign can't afford to spend like a drunken Clinton.

I'm not shying away from dropping literature at any home, provided that it looks lived in. When walking for Democratic candidates in the past, I skipped by homes that had Republican signs in the yard, but not anymore. Republican voters don't have an option of their own in this race, and who knows how Democrats, too, will vote when they don't have to resolve for themselves that a vote of conscience is somehow impractical in support of the progressive cause. I likely won't be canvassing again until next weekend, but I already feel a sense of improvement in my technique. I'm meeting more people, and covering more territory at the same time. If you live in the Fightin' 66th, keep a light on for me. My literature box is still half-full. (I'm an optimist.)

---

Wasn't that Sarah Palin "folksy" last night during the AT&T/Wachovia Vice Presidential Debate? "I love talkin' directly to the American people," she said. "John McCain is fightin' for ya." Palin dropped more 'G's' this week than the federal treasury.

---

I'm not joking-- last night's debate sponsors were actually AT&T, the company that gave us warrantless wiretapping, and Wachovia, the financial securities company federal regulators pressured to put up for sale this week to avoid collapse. Reality has officially murdered satire.

2 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm at work, and I didn't realize until just a few minutes ago that I could go online!

Glad to read that you're getting the hang of door-to-door campaigning, which is quite "folksy"--in a good way. You're the real "straight talk express"

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger CM said...

I was going to title the post "Takin' it to the streets," but I thought dropping the 'g' might confuse the point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home