Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Oscar Nominations/Some sour grapes

Paul Giamatti's absence from the list of Oscar nominations is almost unfathomable, considering his dominant role over a film that received five other nominations. His two principle acting partners received supporting nominations. His director received a nod. The words his character spoke were nominated. The film was nominated for Best Picture. His performance must have been a real dud to be left out.
Or could it be that Giamatti hasn't been on enough magazine covers during his career? Perhaps Johnny Depp would look better on the red carpet. Don't forget the amount of money Leonardo DiCaprio has made for Miramax and 20th Century Fox studios. (And wouldn't it be great if he and Kate Winslet both won?) It's all Giamatti's fault. He could have made it all better if he had simply signed on to be one of Ocean's 11.
Several weeks ago, "Sideways" was labeled "overrated" by the New York Times essentially because its lead character looks like a film critic. So isn't it fair to point out now that the actors' wing of the Academy selected the candidates that looked like them?
My first thought this morning upon hearing of Giamatti's snub was that this was the second biggest upset of the week. (The first was Roger Clemens returning to the Astros after being "99 percent retired" FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT YEAR. If I'm correct to be multiplying fractions here, those odds are 10,000 to 1. Unbelievable!) After the news soaked in, I remembered that great Oscar tradition-- vote for what's best for me and the financial interest of my industry. The Oscars are about creating "star power," and Paul Giamatti, I'm afraid, does not have "star power."
Making my case is the existence of the Best Director category. By definition, the best director should be the director of the Best Picture, but not in the eyes of Oscar. "Sideways" may win the Best Picture award (increasingly doubtful), but Alexander Payne doesn't have a chance in hell of beating Martin Scorsese or Clint Eastwood. They're "stars." He's a nobody. Maybe- after he's directed 10 to 12 films-- the voters will catch him on the backside. Scorsese's never won, so Payne is up against, not only "The Aviator," but "Taxi Driver," "Raging Bull," "Mean Streets," "Goodfellas," and "The Age of Innocence." When Scorsese was making these influential pictures, he was losing the directors' award to movie star actors like Robert Redford and Kevin Costner. I guess you can tell- I'm not as optimistic as I once was. The "Sideways" buzz is waning.
And still-- five nominations-- that's wonderful. "Election" only got one.

---

Interesting topic on our radio show today...

A medical supply business or some such in Michigan is forcing its employees to stop smoking- not just at work, but altogether. No one has been fired, but a handful of people quit. Management's concern is the rising cost of health coverage.
I'm still on the fence on this one. My first concern, in a story like this, is always the issue of civil liberties. On one hand, an individual has certain inalienable rights in his or her own home. On the other hand, this is not the standard public health issue. One of the news anchors incorporated the phrase "Big Brother" to frame the argument, but this is a policy enacted by a private employer, not the government. The boss sets the rules, and you're free to work elsewhere if you don't like it. Apparently, smokers are not a protected minority under Michigan law (though they are in about a dozen other states) so the ramifications of the current code are pretty obvious. Like I said though, I'm on the fence.

14 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that this employer has not yet been sued shows how politically incorrect smoking has become in the US. I wonder how long it will be until California completely bans smoking everywhere in the state public and private. How are smokers a protected minority in these other states? I thought all the states were in agreement that the only thing worse than a white, Christian, American, male was an American cigarette smoker. Count me on the fence, too. TA

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger CM said...

I can't answer the question about which states have that protected status. I'm not even sure I heard it right. (You know how unreliable radio information can be.) I assume, though, that the Mid-Atlantic and Southern states, where the tobacco lobby resides, have done as much as they can to protect the industry.

I think it's true that enforcement would be incredibly complicated, if not impossible.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Loose Change, what does a "smoking cessation class" consist of? Is it a support group? Is that just a fancy name for hypnotherapy?

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Or does a smoking "expert" like yourself come to your workplace, school, and/or prison to give out hugs?

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris, your way of looking at Giamatti's lack of a nomination doesn't acknowledge that he may have more competition this year. Was he snubbed cause he doesn't have movie star good looks? I don't know, but you present the case like this: the writing was great, the directing was great, his supporting actors were great, and therefore, all nominated. He must have been snubbed to not be acknowledged in that company.
I look at it like this: What are the odds that one film just happened to have the best writing, directing, supporting actors, and lead actor? Answer: Smaller than Roger Clemens coming out of retirement again. These awards mean nothing - it makes no sense to compare these incredibly subjective categories anyway, so let's spread a little of the love around to other films.

Also: Chris, where's a shout-out for Clint Eastwood, a director that a month ago you accused on this blog of not understanding women? He just directed a movie led by a woman nominated for best actress, who's the odds-on favorite to win the award. Maybe you'll have to rewatch Mystic River with fresh eyes.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

seriously, what is a "smoking cessation class"?

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

so "cessation" is a fancy name for "quit". ok. i thought cessation was a drug and a cessation smoking class taught you how to properly smoke it.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger CM said...

I think what I said was- Roger Clemens doesn't understand women. "Million Dollar Baby" opens in Des Moines this weekend. I'll get back to you.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Loose Change: This smoking cessation terminology kills me. What is an example of a "prompt or cue to smoke"? Is that another way of saying they're jonesing for a cigarette? Or does it mean they want to go smoke because they just watched Pulp Fiction and it looked cool.
And what's the deal with the Iowa toll-free line you mentioned? If I call it, do YOU answer? I think something's up because the toll-free number that's listed matches the cell phone I sold you.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I read one time (or maybe someone - perhaps you - told me) that it really only takes 3 or 4 days to get over the "addiction" to cigarettes. It's the "habit" part that can take forever. True?
I need to be reassured that you're earning your money.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just wanted to know because I'm considering taking up smoking and I wanted to research all the positives and negatives first.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Students? Do you mean like how you can go down to the hair college and get a $5 haircut. That doesn't seem like a very good deal, but I guess it's a free hotline, so what are you going to do? Just remember, smokers, that you get what you pay for.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for all the good information, but I'm leaning toward taking up smoking. I haven't checked with my employer yet, but I'm pretty sure they won't care. I have a really good health plan. Not only does it cover all kinds of lung cancer and emphysema testing/treatment, it even pays for a carton of smokes every month.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger CM said...

Is Fred Grannis channeling his addictive personality into his writing? ABSOLUTELY YES

 

Post a Comment

<< Home