Thursday, January 06, 2005

Chris' Pigskin Picks

You asked for 'em. You got 'em. The NFL playoffs will play out this way. The Rams will take down the Seahawks for the third time this year behind a healthy Marc Bulger and a star-making performance by rookie RB Steven Jackson. The Packers will have no problem at home with Minnesota, and Randy Moss will be back at the hotel in time to watch the first Peyton Manning touchdown on Sunday. The Chargers will win with ease against the Jets, who have had a lot of trouble scoring points on the road. The Colts will be severely tested by the Broncos, but ultimately advance. I'll give you next week's picks next week. The handicappers, meanwhile, can use Vegas Jim's money to light the strip next week.

---

I forgot to tell you about "The Aviator." I saw it last weekend. If I had to use one word to describe Martin Scorcese's Howard Hughes bio-pic, that word would be 'thrilling'- from the aerial photography and special effects of the "Hell's Angels" sequence to the drama of the Congressional Hearings when Hughes is accused of war profiteering. Everyone should see "The Aviator" just to get the early history of our nation's military-industrial complex. President Eisenhower warned us of the undue influence it could have on American foreign policy. Cate Blanchett brings Katherine Hepburn back to life in the movie. It's a stunning portrayal of an iconic woman who may or may not have been the person America recognized in Hollywood. She's smart, vibrant, and adventurous. If she really wasn't as Blanchett imagines her, she should have been.

---

The new year is underway so it's time to start thinking about your St. Louis summer get-away. This is the last year the Cardinals will play in Busch Stadium so we gotta make this one count, people. The Red Sox and Yankees will play regular season games in St. Louis for the first time since the Brownies left for Baltimore. There are some nice weekend matchups with the Astros and Cubs, and they shut down the regular season with the Reds, brother Aaron's favorite team. E-mail me at christophermmoeller@msn.com if you want to make this happen. I'm down for as many road trips as possible.

---

Today's blog is dedicated to my kindly neighbor, what's-his-name. He pitched in to help shovel out my car tonight after the city buried it this morning. A person really shouldn't be forced to bend down to brush the snow off the roof of his car. I also want to thank WHO custodian Dean Rinkin, who- unbeknownst to him- let me walk home with the big metal shovel that sits in the entryway of the station. Finally, congratulations to Jim Zabel, who won the "King of the Mountain" competition this afternoon in the station parking lot.

8 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger CM said...

There will be a time- and that day may never come- when Dean will call upon me for a favor. I will use all of my power and all of my skills.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger CM said...

I regret not putting Hepburn's "Bringing Up Baby" on my top 50 list. I dropped it at the last minute. It's a terrific 'screwball' comedy from the '30s with Cary Grant.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm disappointed that Martin Short doesn't play Katherine Hepburn in the movie. I always thought his imitation was the best.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I remember Martin Short playing her on Saturday Night Live, with Billy Crystal playing Muhammed Ali. The sketch was entitled "Kate and Ali".

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He also does Ross Perot having sex. "Can I finish? Can I finish? Can I finish?"

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger CM said...

That last comment was from me. I want credit on that impression.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris, that reference is completely lost on anyone that doesn't remember those Carvey sketches- the way that Perot used to interrupt the others in the debates and always accused everybody of misunderstanding him, always taking his craziness out of context.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know what to make of the following football stats, but it seems like it should mean something. ESPN.com had the lineups listed this morning with the team's offensive and defensive rankings. Of the 8 teams that play wild card games this weekend, only two of the teams (playoff teams, mind you) have top 10 defenses. (Denver is ranked 4th and the Jets are 7th.) The other six teams aren't even close. In fact, their defensive rankings are downright embarrassing:

St. Louis - 17th
San Diego - 18th
Green Bay - 25th
Seattle - 26th
Minnesota - 28th
Indianapolis - 29th

Just something I noticed. The best defense in the NFL is apparently a good offense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home