Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The Late Late Night Wars

You may have read today that CBS has named a successor to Craig Kilborn on the Late Late Show. He is Craig Ferguson, a Scottish comedian best known for his role as Drew Carey's boss, Nigel Wick, on the Drew Carey Show. I didn't watch that show very often, and only saw bits and pieces of his audition shows this fall, but he seemed a very good natured bloke, and pretty quick on his feet. He was very relaxed, and that should fit the time slot.
I remember hearing early on that comedienne Amy Sedaris, Letterman's greatest regular guest, was going to be one of the four candidates auditioning on-air for the position, but she never did. That's probably a blessing. I would have been up till one o'clock every night if she got the job. Funny lady. As Larry King would say.
Conan O'Brien's show has become so good that it wouldn't matter who hosts the competition, but the CBS affiliate in Des Moines still stubbornly refuses to air the Late Late Show after Letterman. (I won't even dignify them by giving you their call letters.) Therefore, I still find myself watching part of both Conan and Craig.
So cheers- and congratulations to the new Craig, just in case he's on-line tonight looking for public reaction to his hiring. And if he's like his late night colleague Jay Leno, he probably is.

---

Way to go, people. You didn't watch John McEnroe's talk show on CNBC, and now it's getting cancelled. Do I come to your house and crap on your television?

---

The national baseball writers have been attacking Barry Bonds so vehemently this week, I almost forgot that three-fourths of them voted him the Most Valuable Player last month. Too bad we didn't know about this BALCO thing in September.


1 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My hours keep me up late so I've seen a few of the guest hosts for the Late Late Show. Michael Ian Black was my favorite. Amy Sedaris is hysterical but I think her energy is a little too manic and weird for hosting a talk show. Energetic is good but I can't see her deferring to a guest and playing the straight man. It's like on the Daily Show. I think Stephen Colbert is funnier than Jon Stewart but he could never host the show because his style requires him to always be "in character".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home