Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The Kennedy Center Honors

Tonight, I watched the Kennedy Center show on CBS. My man, Warren Beatty, was among the recipients. More than any other actor, Beatty has played the characters I've wanted to be in life- ladies man, outlaw, politician of conscience, revolutionary, even quarterback for the Rams.

I'm a sucker for award shows, anyway, but the Kennedy Honors, televised each year during the holidays, usually make for an especially interesting show. The most bizarre aspect is always the presence of the President and First Lady. It's very formal and dignified, and I remember as a kid, fantasizing about becoming President, and then being the type of President that would get up and join in the performance. Does everyone do that?

The last four years have been even more awkward than usual since George W. Bush and the artistic community are so politically polarized. I have determined quite decisively that the director of this year's show voted for Kerry. We got plenty of reaction shots of the Senator in a kick-ass seat next to Louis Gossett, Jr. The possibility of political conflict always make me watch the show on edge. But what is it, exactly, that I expect will happen? The Bushes aren't going to get offended and walk out. George isn't going to wind up leg wrestling Ossie Davis. The first couple just sat respectfully again this year, probably wondering what Toby Keith has to do to get one of the giant medallions.

Personally, I'm torn between wanting some fireworks and wanting everyone to get back to their cabs and motorcades without incident. That's why inviting Robert Downey Jr. is an act of genius. I don't know what the hell he has to do with Elton John, but I also don't care?

The most memorable thing I ever saw on the Kennedy Center show was Bill Clinton grooving to the Johnny Cash tribute in 1996. It was really over the top, even for him. He was at his lip-biting best- clapping, singing along, and just generally getting funky during a gospel choir salute to his fellow Arkansan. That night was the peak of his term in office.

---

"The Simpsons" Season 5 is out on DVD today. I won't review the entire '93-'94 season, but, just to give you an idea of the quality of this programming, the first four episodes are...

"Homer's Barbershop Quartet" - the Be Sharps,
"Cape Feare" - a spoof of the film, featuring Sideshow Bob,
"Homer Goes To College" - screened at this year's Moeller Television Festival, and
"Rosebud" - Mr. Burns' search for his beloved lost teddy bear, Bobo

1 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I also remember Bill Clinton at Johnny Cash's Kennedy Center Honors. My memory is of the president crying as the choir sang "I'll Fly Away." It was very moving and seemed genuine. I remember liking Clinton more than I had before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home